Considering we were new to visiting Winter Efteling, we had a lot to take in! A few things we had seen photos of over the years, but other things were a total surprise. One of the most impressive things was not only the change in design (the ear muffs and scarf) but also the audio of the sleepy litter bin next to the train track.
He wasn’t the only one though! Kleine Boodschap shivers as he points the way to the nearest bathrooms.
On November 6th, Winter Efteling is officially here! Of course, getting a park like Efteling ready for Winter is no small task, so the decorations have already been going up. A silver crown has been added at the Pagoda (next to, not on top!), the skating rink is up, and there’s snow everywhere! It’s all looking rather festive. Click here to take a look!
As the weather heats up, both in the U.K and in the Netherlands, you may find yourself gazing into space, remembering long Summer days in Efteling. Water rides that cool you down, beautiful flowers everywhere, lovely shades of green on the trees and plants, and a visit to the Happiness Station for a refreshing ice cream. However, maybe (like us) you won’t be visiting Efteling in the warmer months this year. In that case, we all need a reminder of the great things that come to Efteling when the hot weather leaves. The days are shorter and darker, but there are so many wonderful and different things to see if you’re visiting Efteling in the Winter! With a little help from our friends at Wonderrides.com (see below for images link), here is why Efteling is a great place to visit even in the colder parts of the year:
- They put up an Ice Palace (that’s a skating rink to us commoners.)
- Cross-country skiing (so you don’t have to visit a ski resort.)
- A Bavarian Market (because sausages and mulled wine really do warm you up.)
- Winter Illusions at Villa Volta, Spookslot and the Flying Dutchman.
- Fairy Tales in their special Winter clothes (it’s about time that mermaid put some clothes on.)
- Camp fires. All over the place, to keep you toasty.
- You get to see things in the dark. Aquanura for one, but attractions like Raveleijn and the entire Fairy Tale forest are very atmospheric in the dark when they’re lit up. Something you don’t get to experience too much of if you’re visiting when the nights are lighter.
In summary: there’s never a bad time to visit Efteling!
If you’ve been reading our recent posts (if not, why not!?) then you will know that Efteling recently hosted a Santa run in aid of food banks, with 1200 Santas running around the park. Our friend Liselore did the run, and took some photos which she has kindly shared with us.
For a video of the runners, click here!
Many thanks to Liselore Rem for sharing many photos with us, and congratulations to all the Santas who ran to raise money for food banks.