A question that pops up a lot of times on Efteling Facebook groups is ‘what should I not miss?’
Well, as a fan page, I’m here to tell you that you shouldn’t miss anything! However, sometimes if you’re just visiting for the day or you’ve hit a busy time where you have to stand in lines for a lot of the day, you need to be ready to hit the main attractions.
So here’s my list (in no exact order):
- The Fairy Tale Forest. This is where it all began, and it is so unique. Sights, smells sounds and fairy tales; some which you know and some which you probably don’t. This is a great place to take your time and explore, be a little kid again!
- Symbolica. One of Efteling’s newest attractions, Symbolica draws a big crowd, and rightfully so. A trackless dark ride through the palace of fantasy with Pardoes, wall-to-wall (and ceiling to floor!) theming and a lovely soundtrack.
- Aquanura. This water show is located on the lake outside of Fata Morgana, and you can see it every night (sometimes twice a night). Best viewed in the dark from anywhere around the lake, this show sets dancing fountains to Efteling’s amazing catalogue of music.
- Droomvlucht. One of the most popular rides in the park for over 20 years now, fly through the world of fairies, trolls and floating castles.
- Polles Keuken. This restaurant is located in the same realm as Symbolica, so you’ll see great similarities in the theming. The pancakes are out of this world, as are the cakes, and you may even see Pardoes here!
- Stoomcarrousel. Though possibly not high on a lot of Efteling ‘must see’ lists, this is something special. Dating back to 1895, the carousel and the whole building which houses it, are completely stunning. It’s a great place to hang out if it starts to rain too (because they have a bar!).
- Baron 1898. If you are into thrills and theming, then this one is for you. A dive coaster themed around mining, fall 37.5 metres at 90km/h down the mine shaft. Inside the queue, you even get to meet the Baron himself!
- De Vliegende Hollander. That’s ‘The Flying Dutchman’ if you’re English-speaking. This water coaster is something special, as it is an indoor and outdoor coaster that takes place both on land and in the water. You may get wet!
- Raveleijn. Although if you’ve only got a day to see the park, this one may need to be missed if it’s going to eat into your time. However, it has to be one of the best theme park shows going, and, just like most things at Efteling, it has an incredible soundtrack.
- Villa Volta. This dramatic madhouse (another attraction with an amazing soundtrack) will amaze you. The cursed owner of the house speaks to you before you enter (in Dutch), but nothing can prepare you for what you’re about to experience.